Paul Andrew Kettunen, Esq.
State Bar of Michigan, November, 1988.
· Sixth Circuit, January 1991.
· Seventh Circuit, August 1992.
· Third Circuit, November 1999.
· Second Circuit, December 2004.
U.S. District Court:
· Eastern District of Michigan, December 1988.
· Northern District of California, April 1990.
· Eastern District of Pennsylvania, January 1998.
· Southern District of Texas, February 2000.
· District of Columbia, January 2002.
· Western District of Pennsylvania, January 2004.
Maritime Law Association of the United States, Proctor in Admiralty (1997 to present), Associate (1992-1997).
Michigan Bar Association, November, 1988.
Pennsylvania Bar Association, November 1997.
· Use of the Pennsylvania Rule in Recreational Boat Accident Cases: An Enormous Aid to Litigants , 88 Michigan Bar Journal 28 (September 2009)
· Contributing author: Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation in Pennsylvania, National Business Institute (Eu Claire 1998).
· United States Coast Guard Rescue Operations and the Good Samaritan Doctrine, 76 Michigan Bar Journal 77 (July 1997).
· The Status of the Northwest Passage Under International Law, 1990 Detroit College of Law Review, Issue No. 4.
· American Liens for Necessaries as Fully Enforceable in Canadian Courts, A.B.A. Admiralty & Maritime Law Committee Monthly, Autumn 1989, pp. 9-12.
· Contributing author: Great Lakes Conference on Personal Injury, Property Damage Claims and Marine Insurance, Symposium conducted by Foster, Meadows & Ballard and Chicago Ocean Marine Association, March 18-19, 1989, Grand Rapids, Mi.
Ferketich v. Carnival Cruise Lines, 2002 A.M.C. 2956, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20052 (E.D. Pa. 2002). Represented cruise line in personal injury action. Following removal from state court, Carnival’s Motion to Dismiss for Lack of Personal Jurisdiction, Improper Venue or, in the Alternative, to Transfer Venue granted, enforcing Forum Selection Clause which required Plaintiff to litigate in Florida and rejecting Plaintiff’s argument that the clause was unenforceable because it constituted a contract of adhesion and Plaintiff was physically unable to travel to Florida.
United States of America v. Martin, 2001 A.M.C. 2164, 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1223 (E.D. Pa. 2001). Represented the United States in Declaratory Judgment action seeking cessation of maintenance and cure payments to seaman. Defendants Motion to Dismiss or Transfer denied, and U.S.A.'s Motion to enjoin litigation of maintenance and cure action in related Texas suit granted.
Redios Meth et. al. v. A.H. Bull & Co., et. al., 201 A.M.C. 72 (De. Superior Ct., 2000). Represented defendant ship owner in Jones Act wrongful death and survival claim. Shipowner's Motion for Summary Judgment granted: Plaintiff's survival action claim time barred since over three years had transpired from Plaintiff's knowledge of nexus between asbestos exposure and his lung disease. Plaintiff's wrongful death claims time barred since no exigent cause of action for personal injuries at time of death.
Mawari v. Interocean Ugland Mgmt. Corp., 1999 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 15797 (E.D. Pa. 1999). Represented Defendant shipowner in Jones Act claim by seaman who disappeared aboard ship. Motion for Summary Judgment granted since no proof of nexus between disappearance and alleged negligence or unseaworthiness. Pennsylvania Rule inapplicable where death or disappearance of seaman is unaccompanied by vessel collision or allision.
In Re: State Street Bank & Trust., et. al., 1996 A.M.C. 2186 (S.D. Al. 1996). Represented dependants of deceased yacht owner in wrongful death action against colliding vessel owners. State remedies, including punitive damages and loss of nurture, society and companionship, held allowed for deaths of non-seamen in territorial waters of Alabama.
Cleveland tankers Lim. Procs., 791 F. Supp. 669 (E.D. Mi. 1992). Represented Petitioner shipowner in limitation proceedings in connection with explosion of vessel. Economic damage claims by multiple parties dismissed.
Boyd v. Ford Motor Company, 948 F.2d 283 (6th Cir. 1991), U.S. cert. den., 112 S.Ct. 1481, 117 L.Ed. 2d 624 (1992). Represented Ford Motor Company in Jones Act claim brought by seaman in connection with injury aboard a Ford vessel. Case dismissed for failure of plaintiff to establish status as seaman.
Gutierrez v. Dana Investments Corp., 946 F.2d 455 (6th Cir. 1991). Represented foreign defendant in personal injury claim. Case dismissed for lack of jurisdiction under conflict of laws analysis, upheld by Sixth Circuit.
Lecturer, Third Annual Chapel of the Four Chaplains Unity Without Uniformity Conference, February 2-3, 2004, Adam's Mark Hotel, Philadelphia, Pa.: Liberty and the First Amendment: Our Rights, Privileges and Obligations.
Lecturer, Ports America 2000 Conference, June 1-2, 2000, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Philadelphia, Pa.: Compliance with the ISM Code and its Effect on a Vessel's Ability to Trade.
Biographical data published in Who's Who in American Law, Marquis Publishing Co., New Jersey, 8th, 10th Ed.